Saturday 15 August 2015

The legs of a 90 year old!

I knew my legs weren't going to be great this morning when I struggled to sleep due to them tingling and aching.  Consequently, I tentatively put my feet on the floor and attempted to walk quickly to the stairs, well  I think a 90 year old would've been a lot quicker.  My heels were stiff, which meant that my whole foot felt stiff, my calves weren't much better and when I slowly made my way down the stairs my right calf cramped up and I began to question whether I should really be attempting to run parkrun this morning.  I ran up to the Countryside Centre slowly (rather by necessity than choice) and chatted to a few of my running friends and it appears that there aren't many of us that having got some niggle or other.  I lined up at the start line unsure as to whether I would be racing or just taking it easy.  As they shouted go, my legs didn't appear to be keen to get off to a flying start, so I just went with what felt comfortable and watched the front runners fly off into the distance.  However, something rather satisfying happened on my 5k run, after a more leisurely start my lungs and legs started to warm up and I found myself picking up the pace, catching people up and passing them.  It felt so motivating after a hard week of training and by the end, I was chuffed with my best time in 3 months.  It just shows that its not all about getting a PB, turning what feels like a tough run around can be just as satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment